In our last blog, we discussed the importance of a heart-healthy diet. Healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels will prevent the risk of stroke and heart disease. This pizza recipe is made from zucchini, which is low in calories and includes several heart-healthy nutrients such as vitamins A and C, potassium, folate, and fiber. Potassium helps to reduce blood pressure levels. Soluble fiber found in zucchini has been shown to decrease total and LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Part-skim mozzarella cheese is also used in this recipe. Part-skim products have a lower saturated fat content compared to full-fat dairy products. Saturated fat should be limited on a heart-healthy diet.
Lastly, this pizza can be topped with a variety of vegetables. An abundance of vegetables should be included in a heart-healthy diet. Keep your heart healthy and try this delicious, nutritious pizza recipe!
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (1 to 1-1/2 medium), squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup egg substitute or 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 small tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup julienned bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Chopped fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients; stir in 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a 12-inch pizza pan coated with cooking spray; spread to an 11-in. circle.
- Bake until golden brown, 13-16 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 400°. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese; top with tomatoes, onion, pepper, herbs and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil, if desired.