Who doesn’t love to start their morning off with a stack of pancakes? These Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes make a great family breakfast! This recipe is loaded with unrefined and complex carbohydrates and is full of fiber, which will leave you feeling full and satisfied. Replacing white flour and sugar with oats, whole wheat flour and a banana can provide you with many health benefits.
Whole wheat flour, oats and bananas are packed with nutrients including fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Whole grain products may reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cholesterol, obesity and some cancers. Oats are an essential ingredient in this recipe because they give bulk to the batter, without the addition of fat or sugar. Bananas are a healthy carbohydrate that aide digestion, lower blood pressure, support heart health, and supply you with energy. Using a banana will give the pancakes a sweet flavor, without the use of refined sugars.
These pancakes take little preparation time and require few ingredients. They are simple, wholesome, healthy, and delicious!
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 medium sized banana
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1¼ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add all ingredients to a medium sized bowl. Mix until combined.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. If skillet is not non-stick, use oil or butter to grease to prevent batter from sticking.
- Pour batter into skillet and cook about 2-3 minutes each side. Coat skillet again with nonstick spray for each pancake or batch of pancakes.