Physical Solutions will be hosting a Thanksgiving food drive to benefit Long Island Cares, Inc. and the Harry Chapin Food Bank this month in an effort to help other Long Islanders in need.
If you are willing and able to donate, we will have drop off boxes available in both our Mineola and Bethpage offices from:
Monday, November 8th-Friday, November 19th
Long Island Cares distributes more than ten million pounds of food and supplies annually to nearly 400 member agencies in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Their goals are to improve food security for families, sponsor programs that help families achieve self-sufficiency, and educate the general public about the causes and consequences of hunger on Long Island.
- 1 in 4 adults in Long Island faced food insecurity.
- Approximately 259,000 people on Long Island suffer from food insecurity– including 79,000 children
- The elderly make up 4% of Long Island’s food insecure population, and are at increased risk for illness, disease, and premature death.
- Food banks are by far the single most important source of food for agencies with emergency food providers, accounting for 69% of the food distributed by pantries, 39% of the food distributed by kitchens and 45% of the food distributed by shelters
Top 10 Most Needed Items:
- Canned meat, poultry, and fish
- Low-fat, boxed, non-refrigerated milk
- Canned vegetables
- Tomato Sauce
- Peanut Butter
- Jelly, Jam & Spreadable Fruit
- White Rice
- Cooking Oil
Thanksgiving Shopping List
- Cranberry Sauce
- Gravy (no glass, can and packets are preferred)
- 4 cans of vegetables (corn, carrots, mixed veggies, etc.)
- 4 cans of fruit (applesauce, mixed fruits, etc.)
- 1 dessert (corn muffin mix, cake and frosting, cookie mix, etc.)
- 1 can yams
- Mashed potato mix
- 1 can of pumpkin and pie crust mix
All donations are greatly appreciated, but please NO GLASS JARS!