Turkey chili lettuce wraps are easy to make, heart healthy, nutritious, and delicious. These lettuce wraps are low in carbohydrates, low in calories, high in protein and high in healthy fats, such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. They are also high in vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. The turkey meat, kidney beans and cheese give this recipe their high protein content. Turkey meat contains the amino acid tryptothan, which is a part of the protein that creates and builds muscle. Kidney beans are an excellent plant-based source of protein. Cheese provides the body with essential building blocks for strong muscles as well as being a good source of calcium and vitamin D. This flavorful dish can be eaten on the go or made as a quick and easy dinner for your family. These simple wraps come together in less than 30 minutes and are the perfect way to get some protein into your diet. Enjoy!
- 1 head of Iceberg or Butter lettuce
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 bag of low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 pound of ground turkey meat
- 2 ripe avocados
- Vegetables of choice (e.g. carrots, corn, peppers)
- 1 packet of low sodium chili seasoning
- 1 can of organic tomato sauce
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Toss and break up turkey occasionally, until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add low sodium chili seasoning and mix in
- Add organic tomato sauce and cook for about 2 minutes
- Cut off root end of lettuce and cut away the core. Discard tough outer leaves, then cut the lettuce into quarters to fill with taco meat.
- Place about ¼ cup of turkey chili into each lettuce wrap.
- Add the toppings of your choice and enjoy!